As a bridal stylist, one of the most common questions I get from brides is “How do I choose dresses my bridesmaids will actually like?” Picking bridesmaid dresses that both you and your wedding party members can agree on can feel stressful and overwhelming.
But by following a few simple tips, you can find dresses everyone is happy with. Here are my top recommendations:
1. Involve your maids early. Get their input on style preferences, must-haves and dealbreakers before you start looking at dresses. Ask for photos of styles they like.
2. Choose a broad silhouette, not a specific style. Opt for something like A-line or knee-length rather than sheath or maxi. This allows for more variety.
3. Allow colors they love. Bridesmaid dresses don’t have to match exactly. Similar colors that flatter each maid work best.
4. Don’t require the same dress. Similar styles in different fabrics or necklines let maids customize the look to suit them.
5. Consider multiple stores. Not every bridesmaid has the same taste. Choose 2-3 major stores your maids can shop from.
6. Let them buy what fits best. Focus on a theme, not an exact match. Great fits trump a few slightly varying hemlines.
7. Ask for honesty. Explain you value their input, not simply obedience. Ongoing communication is key.
By following these tips and remaining flexible, you can find bridesmaid dresses that honor both your wedding vision and your maids’ individual tastes.
If you’re still struggling, hire a bridal stylist like me! I can help you narrow options, get the right fits for each maid, and make this part of wedding planning less stressful and more fun for everyone.